ENHANCING YOUR WI-FI CONNECTIVITY
Wi-Fi signals can be sluggish at times. Whether you are a big corporation or a start-up, bad connectivity can really test your patience and make you want to throw the router out the window. Here’s why your Wi-Fi signal is slow. We also give you the ultimate solution for a consistent wireless connectivity.
Speed test your router
Firstly, you need to find out the connection speed of your router. Find a suitable website that provides speed testing and it will provide your router’s upload and download speed.
802.11ac and 802.11n are the ideal Wi-Fi standard you can have a fast, smooth connectivity. Anything other than that then you might want to upgrade your router ASAP. Here’s how you can check your current router standard:
- Click on the Wi-Fi icon on your PC screen
- Move your cursor (or mouse) to the broadband service
Using the wrong channel
When your router is set up, it detects the least crowded Wi-Fi channel and makes that its default for your network. However, as neighbouring offices appear around your area, you might realise that your initial channel might be overcrowded by other surrounding routers. In any case there are great tools around that can assist you in deciding whether you should change your Wi-Fi channel.
You are using the “popular” network frequency
The 802.11ac and 802.11n routers offer “dual band” – meaning that these routers are sending two network signals:
- The 2.4GHz receiver (the one where most device makers go to. A very crowded frequency)
- The 5GHz receiver (the less crowded one that offers more channels)
So if you would like to use both signals for your office but need a speedier connection, just enable your PCs and laptops to the 5GHz and the rest to the other frequency.
Update your firmware
An easy yet most often forgotten piece of advice is to make sure that your router is up-to-date, especially when you have just purchased a new set. Therefore, you can expect bandwidth, feature set and resiliency signals to increase with the first few firmware updates. The latest updates can be found at the router’s manufacturer website so just follow the instructions.
It’s not the router, it’s you
In this case, your laptop might be the main culprit. In fact, Wi-Fi signals can become weak if your laptop is old or disorganized. One of the solutions that might also enhance your internet connectivity is to delete any unnecessary files or programs that might slow down your Wi-Fi.
Need help? Ask for Global ITN
Can’t seem to digest everything pointed out above – why not ask Global ITN for assistance? We actively design, procure, install, configure, secure and integrate wireless networks for all businesses. We use state of the art predictive wireless modelling alongside refined approaches to meet your business requirements. This provides you with consistent, reliable and fast connectivity, allowing your business to stay ahead of the competition.
What Global ITN offers:
- Initial Wi-Fi survey to review the physical environment, cabling, power capacity and the type of data that will traverse across the wireless network.
- Specialised wireless survey taking into account the physical space, required coverage and capacity, Wi-Fi security and high availability as per your business’ needs.
- Management of hardware procurement and installation where required.’
- Final wireless site survey right after the implementation and configuration to review the network design and capacity to ensure your business requirements are met.
- Validation with onsite wireless site surveys and RF Spectrum analysis using professional-grade tools from AirMagnet and Ekahau.
Do you have any questions regarding our IT, network support or connectivity services? Speak to one of our Support Service specialist today at +653109 1687, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org/en-sg or get connected to any our social media: